Online meetings with Teams can be used to host lectures, discussions, or office hours.
You can access Teams using accessuh.uh.edu and clicking on Office365.
In this guide:
- Create a Team
- Share the team code so students can join
- Schedule an online meeting
- Share the meeting link
- Join the meeting
- Record a meeting
- Share content
- Best practices for students
Create a Team
Create a Team for each class section to keep your meetings organized.
- Click on the Teams button along the far-left menu in Teams
- If you are viewing a Team you will need to click the “Go back to All Teams” button
- From the screen that says “Your Teams” click the “Join or create team” button
- Click the “Create Team” button
- Select Class as the team type
- Name the team
- Skip adding students (later you will share a code on Blackboard that allows them to join)
- The Team is now created
Share the team code so students can join
- Click the “…” icon (More options) next to the team name
- Click Manage team
- Click Settings
- Click Team Code
- Click the Generate button
- Copy the code that appears
- Share the code with your student by pasting the code in a Blackboard Announcement
- Instruct students to use the code in Teams to join
Schedule an online meeting
- From the Team click the Video camera icon (“Meet now”) in the chat area
- Click “Schedule a meeting”
- Add a title (For example “Unit 1 Lecture”)
- You do not need to add attendees since you will be sharing the meeting link
- Set the start and end time
- Click the Send button to save the meeting
Share the meeting link
- After saving a scheduled meeting click on the meeting in the general post area
- Copy “Join Microsoft Teams Meeting” link from the description
- Paste the link in a Blackboard Announcement to your class
- Student will click on the link to join the meeting
Join the meeting
- From the Class team general chat click on the meeting
- Click join
- You can also use the link shared to students to join the meeting
- Click Join now
Record a meeting
If you would like to record the meeting as a video, please follow these steps. The video will be saved to Microsoft Stream.
- Using the meeting controls at the bottom click on “… (More Actions)”
- Click start recording
- At the end of the meeting click “… (More Actions)” then stop recording
- You can access the video in the general posts area
You can share your computer screen or PowerPoint presentations.
- In the meeting click the share button on the meeting controls.
- You can share your full desktop screen, individual windows, or open PowerPoint files in Teams
- To open a power point click Browse
- Click upload from my computer
- Then select your power point file
- This will show the presentation in Teams so you can still see video and chat
- Use the on-screen arrows to advance the slides
- You can click the eye icon to prevent students from moving through the power point on their own
Teams Best Practices for Students
- Use a laptop or desktop computer. Having a larger screen will make it easier to see if there is a PowerPoint being shared.
- Download the Microsoft Teams application to your computer. The full application allows you to share content on your screen while the web app does not.
- Test the meeting link before the meeting begins. From the meeting you can test that your microphone and video are working in the device settings.
- If you are not speaking in a meeting mute your microphone to reduce background noise. Remember to unmute to speak.
- Try to find a quiet space with reliable internet connection.