How Ally Works for Instructors
Ally works seamlessly with Blackboard to gauge the accessibility of the content. Here are three ways in which Ally can help you:
- Generate alternative formats for students to download
- Provide Accessibility Scores
- Provide tips on how to improve your accessibility score
Generate alternative formats for students to download
Ally creates alternative formats of course files based on the original. These formats are presented along with the original file so students can find everything in one convenient location.
If, for some reason, you need to disable alternative formats, you can easily do so by selecting the menu beside ‘Download Alternative Formats’.
Provide Accessibility Scores
Ally measures the accessibility of each attached content file and assigns a score that range from Low to Perfect. Each score is composed of both a numerical number and a colored gauge that reflects the number. Higher the score, fewer the issues.
Ally also shows the issues associated with each score and gives a step-by-step guide on how to fix them.
Currently, Ally checks files in these formats:
- PDF files
- Microsoft®Word files
- Microsoft®PowerPoint® files
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice files
- Uploaded HTML files
- Image files (JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BPM, TIFF)
- WYSIWYG/VTBE content
Provide tips on how to improve your accessibility score
Once you know the accessibility score, you can take steps to improve accessibility of your content. Ally gives you the tools to understand common issues and improve your course files.
Example 1: Low Accessibility Score for a PDF file due to missing image descriptions:
When you click on the red gauge, Ally gives you the explanation for the low score and tips on how to add descriptions.
Example 2: When the document is missing headings. Ally will give you tips on how to add headings.
- How to Use the Zoom Meeting Scheduler Tool in Blackboard
- How to Use Negative Points for Incorrect Answers in Blackboard
- How to Request a Blackboard/Teams Class
- New Look for the Content Editor in Blackboard Learn
- Introduction to New Stream Experience
- Making Blackboard Courses Accessible – Quick Guide
- How to Print Student’s Blackboard Test Attempt
- How to Prevent Images not Loading in Blackboard Exam