Taking a Test with Respondus Monitor (Student Guide)
Respondus Monitor is a tool in Respondus LockDown Browser that records your video and audio while you take a test. Instructors may enable Respondus Monitor for a test as a way to deter academic dishonesty. If Monitor suspects anything out of the ordinary in the video it will flag it for the instructor to review. Only your instructor has access to the video of you taking the test.
You will need a webcam and microphone to take a test with Monitor. Most laptops have a built-in webcam and microphone. If you are using a desktop you can get an external webcam and microphone that connects using a USB cable. If a webcam or microphone are unavailable to you, please contact your instructor to make other arrangements.
You should use a hard wired Ethernet connection, if possible, but if not you should be as close to the router or access point as possible. We also recommend restarting the computer, and shutting down all other programs running on the computer as well as those that might be running on your network (Netflix, etc.). It may also help to restart the modem/router.”
There is a “Help Center” link available within Respondus Monitor and it will help you troubleshoot technical issues (webcam, microphone, internet connection, etc.). You can use this immediately before an exam to ensure everything is working correctly. Live chat support is available from this area when using Respondus Monitor. Live Chat is also available from the “It’s Not Working” links that appear in the pre-exam startup steps.
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- iOS: 10.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. Details.
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband internet connection
- Chromebooks are not supported
- Open Respondus LockDown Browser. If you do not have the Lockdown Browser installed on your computer, please visit the LockDown Browser Student Guide. On that page there is a link where you can download the application.
- In the LockDown Browser log into Blackboard using your username and password
- Navigate to your class and the test. The test title will include “(**Webcam**) – Required Respondus LockDown Browser” at the end.
- Open the test and read the instructions and when ready click begin.
- If this is your first time doing a test with Respondus Monitor, you will see pop ups asking for access to your webcam and microphone. Grant access in order to move forward.
- Webcam check: Follow the on-screen instructions to test that your video and audio are working.
- Review additional instructions and guidelines and tips.
- Student Photo: Take a photo of yourself.
- Show ID: Take a photo of your UH student ID
- Environment Check: Use your webcam to record a video of your environment.
- Facial Detection Check: Make sure that your face is in view of the camera.
- Proceed to take the test. Remember that your video and audio are being recorded while you take the test. If your face moves out of view you will get an on-screen alert. Return back in view of the camera to dismiss the alert and continue with the test.
- How to Use the Zoom Meeting Scheduler Tool in Blackboard
- How to Use Negative Points for Incorrect Answers in Blackboard
- How to Request a Blackboard/Teams Class
- New Look for the Content Editor in Blackboard Learn
- Introduction to New Stream Experience
- Making Blackboard Courses Accessible – Quick Guide
- How to Print Student’s Blackboard Test Attempt
- How to Prevent Images not Loading in Blackboard Exam